Pleased To Meet Me Reissue




Here's something that I am especially proud of. This photograph of Paul Westerberg and Alex Chilton, is prominently displayed in the booklet for the the new deluxe reissue of The Replacements Pleased To Meet Me on Rhino Records. Not only is this a seminal rock record, but it was an important one to me when it came out in 1987. I had long had a fascination with the music of Memphis, and at that time in particular, I was listening to a lot of Big Star and it's various affiliations. So, when my favorite current band, The Replacements made a record at Ardent in Memphis with Jim Dickinson, it was a revelation of sorts. Sometime in late 1987, I went to see Alex play a show at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ. The Replacements were also in town and playing at the Beacon. At one point during the show, my friend nudged me and pointed to The Replacements who had shown up and were at the bar in the back of the room watching Alex's set after their show. Paul joined Alex on stage for an impromptu version of Ronnie and The Daytonas "Little GTO" I managed to get off a few pictures, and as far as I know, there are not any others of the two of them together from this time. I talked to photographer Stephanie Chernikowski, who introduced them to each other, and she doesn't have any. When I heard they were re-releasing all of their records with bonus material, I contacted Peter Jesperson, their former manager, and showed him these photographs, which have been sitting dormant and basically unseen for all these years. I feel lucky to have been there, and grateful to have contributed to this reissue.



Listen:

"Alex Chilton" (alternate version) mp3
by The Replacements, 1987.
Buy: Pleased to Meet Me

Photograph:
Alex Chilton and Paul Westerberg, Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ, 1987.
© Ted Barron, 2008.